Sunday, June 06, 2010

Memorial Day and Bithdays

We went to "The Playground of Dreams" on Memorial Day to enjoy some family time. There are a couple of fun parks like this in the Tri-Cities that the community actually built themselves. The materials were purchased by the city and people showed up with their tools ready to work. It changes the way you view the park, and the community.

Noah is all over the place these days. I can already tell, he's going to keep me on my toes!


Hailey and Noah love to be together! Hailey is just crazy about Noah, so naturally, he loves her back.

This jumpy bridge was quite a bit of fun . . .





(Hailey and Tanner laugh hysterically looking at that sequence of pictures of him jumping!)
Noah laughs hysterically when I pull him forward in a swing and the let go!




We went to Utah for my brother Dan's wedding in May. The kids have been so excited about their new Aunt Jessi and the huge bonus of three new cousins! We also got to see our Texan cousins that we haven't seen for a year and a half. Tanner, Jeremiah, Hailey and Eliza all "slept" in the same room. I think the first night they giggled until about 11:00.

Tanner's birthday was the day before the wedding so we celebrated his birthday there.


Tanner requested a spaceship birthday cake this year. After looking at a lot of pictures, he narrowed it down to an x-wing cake. I've discovered a new love of creating cakes, so I was up for the challenge! It ended up a little bit chartoony, but that's part of what makes it fun.


R2D2 was my favorite little detail.



Uncle Jeff offered to give all the cousins (the big-kid cousins) rides on his motorcycle for Tanner's b-day. Tanner loves motorcycles and we thought he would go crazy for a ride, but he acted like he didn't even care -- he didn't even want a ride. Oh well, the rest of us had fun!



We also made a trip to the Children's Museum in SLC.

Magnet creation and a helicopter were only two of the favorite activities there.






May went by in a hurry and what follows May? Why Hailey's birthday, of course! She requested a Hawaiian birthday this year. She even drew a picture of what she wanted her cake to look like:

I think I got pretty close . . .


Hailey really wanted a hula girl with brown skin and black hair, but I talked her into using a little doll that we already had that would look like her on the cake. She seemed to like that idea. Hence, the red-headed hula girl. I added the little grass skirt, the lei, and a flower in her hair to complete the look. So, I didn't make the doll, but I made everything else. I had a lot of fun creating this cake it; I think it's my best one yet!

We had a fun little island party: we made leis, we limboed, and went island hopping, we had our cake and ate it too!




Our little island girl seemed pretty happy with the party, and that for me, was pretty satisfying.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kids are cuter than ever! I am amazed at your talent at decorating cakes, I would like to be able to do that someday! I am glad to see things are going well for you!

Allison said...

Jeremiah says: "Aunt Celia makes fancy cakes! How does she make them?"

We sure miss you guys! It was sooo fun playing together in Utah, I do NOT want to let that much time go by between visits again...

love you!!

Erin said...

What a creative Hawaiian birthday party and cake! You really have talent!

Erin said...

What a darling birthday party and cake you made for Hailey. I really think the cake is very impressive! How creative!

Amanda said...

Love the X-wing cake, I will very likely have to store that away for future reference. Looks like all is well with your family. Hailey gets prettier everyday. What a fun island party. It is hard to believe Noah will be one soon. Loved the update.

Jenn said...

holy cow. i cannot believe how B.I.G. Hailey is!! wow! How do you always think of the most amazing birthday parties for your kids?! I hope i can be like you.

Alisa said...

What a wonderful update! I love these photos, especially the action jumping shots, and the photos of Noah (he is getting so big) and that cake is amazing. It was so nice to see you at Dan's. I wish you lived closer :-)

Brian and Melissa Finley said...

So fun to see all the pictures! Your kiddos are so big. Fun to see pictures of The Park of Dreams...we've been to that park many a time and it is fabulous. Glad you guys are enjoying the tri-cities. So sorry we didn't get together while we were there :( Time seemed to just fly by!

p.s. you should really go into a cake decorating business...truly amazing!