Sunday, December 16, 2007

The world through the eyes of a three-year-old.

Bam-bam-bam-bam! Lately I feel a little hand pounding on my mattress to wake me in the morning and then I hear a tiny whisper, "Don't worry Mommy, it's not a monster -- it's just Hailey."

She barged into the bathroom this morning while Brandon was getting out of the shower. He closed the shower curtain to finish drying off and Hailey asked him why.
"Because I need my privacy," he said.
"You should probably lock the door, Dad."
"You're right. I thought that Mommy might need to come in though."
"Well, people might want to talk to you."
"People like Hailey?"
"Yep."

She continues to astound us with profound insights like, "Sometimes people need to talk to each other." I wish I could remember the world as a three year old. They know just enough about what is going on to have a simplified perspective. Hailey likes to utilize what she does know and then fill in the gaps with whatever she feels like. It makes for some funny conversations. Like last night at dinner she informed us, "Scenes and beans come on Fridays."
"Oh really?" I commented.
"Yes, and sometimes Wednesdays forever."
"Hmph. Interesting."

I just laught listening to kids conversations sometimes. I over heard Hailey chatting with her friend Scotty the other day. He asked her, "Can you make a boy voice?"
"No," she answered, "I only have a girl voice." Sometimes I find myself envying their uncomplicated world.

She seems to be getting a grasp for how meetings work as well. Brandon was leaving for an Elder's quorum meeting tonight and she said, "Bye, you'll be back in a month!" Spoken like a true Latter-Day Saint!

Well, I had my turn with Tanner calling my name, now it's Dad's turn. All day long (and the past few) he's been saying, "ada da da da." It's pretty cute to see how pleased he is with himself when he realizes how affective calling for "Da-da" or "Ma-ma" can be. He has become quite chatty and he's cut two teeth. One on top and one on bottom -- way to go Tanner!

3 comments:

Laura Howe said...

Hey I was so surprised and happy to get your Christmas e-mail, and that you have a blog. You guys look so good. our blog is milasnlaurahowe.blogspot.com

Have a great Christmas.
Laura Howe (Jensen)

Shannon said...

Hey Furness's! I just have to say that Hailey is HILARIOUS. I love reading all her stories and sayings. I ESPECIALLY loved the convo between the legless and armless dolls, I literally laughed out loud. Hope you guys had a great Christmas!! :)

Shannon

staci baker said...

Way cute stories of Hailey! They sure say the darndest things!
I think this ranch is owned by the Munns, but I know there is another huge ranch closeby that is owned by the church. Maybe that's the one that the Pratts run or something! I'll let you know. I'm sure I'll meet her! Small world!